Power

History of Power Stations

The present Port of Spain Power Station is located in the heart of the city, bounded to the North by Park Street, to the South by Wrightson Road, to the East by Flament Street and to the West by Colville Street. read more
 
The Point Lisas Power Station is located on the Point Lisas Industrial Estate in Couva. Construction of the Plant began in 1976 with the establishment of a 132,000 Volt Switch-yard and the installation of the first fully computer controlled Gas Turbine driven Generator unit, rated at 88,000 kilowatts (88MW) which was commissioned in 1977. read more.
 
The Penal Power Station is situated at Syne Village, Penal, which is located in the heart of the oil belt. This site was chosen because of the abundance of cheap fuel (natural gas) which had very little commercial value at that time. Construction of the Plant began in 1950 with the establishment of a 11,400 Volt Busbar System and the installation of a 5,000 kilowatt Steam Turbo-Generator, which was commissioned in 1953. read more